Adventist Colleges Abroad Coordinator: Elizabeth Bowser
Adjunct: Junyu Zhang
Aims of the Program
Southwestern Adventist University strongly encourages students to study a foreign language. Indeed, foreign language courses are a degree component of all B.A. programs at the University. Southwestern currently offers courses in Chinese, French, and Spanish.
According to the Council on Foreign Relations, education in the United States should focus on languages that will give Americans an economic competitive edge. The top five languages recommended include Chinese and Portuguese.
A second language opens doors to both personal and professional development and can give recent graduates an advantage when seeking employment in both national and international organizations and corporations.
• Minor in Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Arabic, Chinese, Italian and Hebrew
Minor in Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Arabic, Chinese, Italian and Hebrew
A minor consists of 18 hours, exclusive of the elementary course or its equivalent, 12 hours of which must be upper division and includes 3 hours of literary analysis. Most often requires at least one year abroad.
Adventist Colleges Abroad
The Modern Language Department offers all students, whether majoring in languages or not, the opportunity to study overseas as part of their university education. Normally this can fit into a four-year course of study without losing credits as a result. Southwestern is a member of Adventist Colleges Abroad (ACA), administered by the North American Division of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Through this consortium, students are able to study a language in the actual homeland of that particular language. Overseas campuses affiliated with ACA that provide foreign language instruction include:
- Universidad Adventista del Plata, Argentina (Spanish; academic year only)
- Seminar Schloss Bogenhofen, Austria (German)
- Bahia Adventist College, Brazil (Portuguese)
- Campus Advetiste du Saleve, France (French)
- Friedensau Adventist University, Germany (German; academic year only)
- Instituto Avventista Villa Aurora, Italy (Italian)
- Middle East University, Lebanon (Arabic; academic year only)
- Escuela Superior de Espanol, Spain (Spanish)
- Jerusalem Study Center, Israel (Hebrew; summer only)
- Taiwan Adventist College, Taiwan (Chinese, summer only)
Study overseas is coordinated through the History and Social Science department. More information about application, courses, and logistics is available by visiting aca-noborders.com. The ACA Bulletin is also available at the Records Office and contains a listing of courses offered on each campus.