A course in the major or minor in which a student has earned less than C- must be repeated or, with the consent of the major advisor, may be replaced by another course in the same area. If a student takes a course and then repeats it, the highest grade earned will be used in calculating the GPA, though all grades remain on the permanent record. When a course is repeated elsewhere, both the transfer grade and the original grade of the course taken at Southwestern will be included in the calculation of the cumulative GPA. Students may not receive credit for a course more than once with the exception of music performance and individual study topics, unless specified in the course description. A course may not be repeated for credit by examination, but may be taken at another school.